Thursday, July 26, 2007

Belated Blogaversary

I just noticed my last post was my 50th! Not bad for a year. For me at least. Moving on...

I've gotten halfway through my script. Fifty pages of graphic novel could be drawn with what I've got, and I came to a reveal of the bad guy that I think works really well. I have to wait until Karen King (supervisor) gives her okay, but I'm hopeful. Maybe I should devote a bit of time to my critical essay. Maybe. It could happen.

It just feels nice to have this character out and about now. One thing I really got over the course of this year is how much I LOVE a good villain. Antagonists are essential to drama, but a good, meaty one can steal a show if you let 'em. Iago, Darth Vader, Roscoe P. Coltrain, the real classics have more staying power than the heroes sometimes. It's my hope that I can create one that'll last half a long as some of the great. Hopefully, this one's a step in the right direction.

Speaking of drama, I saw the pilot of Heroes for the first time last night. Now just where the hell have I been since this came out?!?!?!?! I am ashamed that I've let this slip so long, really just ashamed. It's refreshing to see popular television take conventions out of comics and apply them well, and ironic when you consider modern comics came out by taking conventions of noir cinema and other video and applying them to the page. Heroes makes no apologies about its roots, it does them justice, and with a name like that I can't ask for anything more.

My financial drama's come to a resolution - I got my security deposit back! I can afford rent and food now, and the occassional night out. The problem here is that most everyone I know is tied to their laptops most nights, myself included, so finding a night when a bunch of us can afford to meet and hang out is kind of a rarity. I don't want to have to go through the process of arranging a date and meeting around schedules and imposing an order and formality that just go against the spirit of spontaneous pubbing, so I'll be patient. Ugh.

People are making food. I hunger. I shall make food now.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger podslave said...

I LOVE Heroes! This probably comes as a surprise to you as it is a little out of my typical tastes. But, Brad started watching it and therefore I started watching it and what can I say? I love it! It's inspired me to learn Japanese. Ok that last part isn't true at all. And now I'm just rambling to take up space on your blog. Hmm... maybe I should try that on my own blog so that it has new content more than once/month. that's crazy talk. bye!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Willow Pest said...

Gary is driving me nuts wanting to know when you will be coming home! So give me something to tell him!

me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home