Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bad case of the Blogs

Today started with a drill going into the concrete directly outside my room. Even now I can hear a hammer and chisel. It set me off my groove and I really need to recenter myself. I suppose a blog post is as good a method as any.

The first term of the year is over. Portfolios are in, my MA proposal is in, all is as good as it can be on that front. I think I did okay - nothing flashy, but solid work all around. No regrets there.

This is the second week of my break before second term starts next week. I've been trying to find a place to work over the March-April break for work study and find an artist to collaborate with on my MA project (a graphic novel), both with only partial success. Better than nothing, but it's not helping my mood today.

Over the weekend I formatted my laptop so I could clean it up and start fresh. I forgot to back up one folder and nearly lost Final Draft, both potentially cardiac-arrest-inducing, but I got around those problems and now my computer's back at full strength and faster than ever.

Last Thursday I attended a Robert Burns supper, which if you ever get invited by a real Scotsman I can't recommend enough. It involved genuine haggis, a dram of whiskey, a live bagpiper, multiple speeches written by people on our course, and about five hours of signing songs and swapping stories, and it all added up to one of the most memerable, amazing nights ever. A few people decided to go commando while wearing kilts, but by then everyone was just buzzed enough to not care. Grandma, I wore pants, relax.

The Colts are going to the Super Bowl!! It figures that they decide to conquer their playoff demons just when I'm out of the country. I'm trying to find a place to have a small party, and the results may be contributing to my stress level, but dammit this is important! This needs to be celebrated! I know I'm not going to enjoy staying awake and fairly sober until 4am but this is worth it! So that my neighbors here can enjoy it, I've agreed to write a primer on football rules and procedures; nothing extreme just basic stuff like "this is what a Down is", and "a ball is fumbled when this, this, and this happens". Go Colts!

One of the walls in my room is now covered with cards for my MA story, which is actually a concept I've been working on for a couple of years and now have the chance to really flesh out. I'm either going to start scripting today or tomorrow, but I have a few character things to work out before I'm ready to jump in.

Huhn, no wonder I'm feeling stressed. Turns out I've got a lot going on. I probably should have been paying attention.

Oh god, someone gave him another drill. Who in their right mind would give him another drill?!?!?! This may be a job for a pub.

8 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger wineaux said...

So, tell us all how the hagis was!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Willow Pest said...

Have any blood pudding yet?

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger wineaux said...

Just don't waste your time and money on a shandy!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ryan Walsh said...

No blood pudding.

The haggis (watch that spelling!) was really good. Everything's chopped to the point where it's almost the same consistency as cous cous, but a lot heartier and tastier. It was served on a bed of stewed vegetables, carrots, onions, potatoes, that kind of fare. After that, a dessert of raspberries and creme over crumbled shortbread and a plate of cheeses and crackers to go with coffee.

Jealous????

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Willow Pest said...

I would skip the haggis and take everything else- especially dessert.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Willow Pest said...

I forgot to tell you that Chris is going to the Superbowl.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger wineaux said...

a thousand lasher for my spelling error!
I watched a little show about some Scottish festival on which some kid said haggis was good.
I'd give it a try.
Only problem I have with the menu is that the plate of cheese should have gone with WINE, not coffee.
:)

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Ryan Walsh said...

Chris should take luggage with him. About four or five man-sized duffles worth. All medicinal of course, seeing as how NOT bringing good friends to the Super Bowl would be extremely bad for his health.

The haggis was excellent. I didn't expect it, but there you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home